Friday, April 13, 2012

Travel Tip: "Listen to their hearts."

Before I embarked on one of the greatest trips of my life (to Jerusalem), I spoke with my grandmother on the phone. She rattled off several bits of advice, but one has really stuck with me and I think it's so important to remember when traveling anywhere. 

"Listen to the people, Catherine", she said. "Listen to their hearts."
Orson Hyde Park, Jerusalem, Israel, Spring 2008

When traveling to foreign lands, we are given such an amazing opportunity to learn things straight from the source. Instead of relying on news outlets, books, or stories from other people, we are able to meet people firsthand who have actually grown up in a specific culture or  lived through specific experiences. Of course, vacations are good for relaxing and enjoying the company of the person(s) you're traveling with, but I've always found that my most rewarding travel experiences involve interactions with strangers (who quickly become friends). 

The ability to connect with a person despite language, cultural, or socio-economic differences is real and it is what makes this world such a beautiful place.

So, if there's one piece of advice I give you when traveling to a new place, it is this: 

"Listen to the people. Listen to their hearts."

9 comments:

Jenna said...

Quite possibly the best travel tip ever :)

xxx
Jenna

Tiffany said...

I love this!! So perfect! It's easy to get caught up in our own vacations and not take the time to really listen.

~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

Lissa @ The Looking Glass said...

wow i LOVE that quote. what a beautiful quote from, what must be, a beautiful lady.

Breanna Hohenstein said...

Loved this post :) Thanks so much for stopping by! I absolutely love your blog!

Happy Weekend!

Ash said...

Very true.
Thank you for the nice post!

xoxo
Ash
creamyfur.blogspot.com

Wren said...

That is probably one of the best pieces of advice I have ever heard and not just for travelling. You can take that wisdom everywhere.

Wren
http://houseofwren.blogspot.ca/

rooth said...

That is some wise travel advice - your grandmother is one special lady

Erica Crismon said...

I love this picture of you, Catherine! I miss living with you and getting to see you and talk with you every day!

Malou Morgan said...

Really nice post, just shared it! Have a great time in Jerusalem! I've applied for an internship there this summer so fingers crossed I'll be able to follow this advice soon :) xxx