Friday, April 6, 2012

Sunday Morning Crepes


(Nutella with Sliced Bananas)
(Sugar with Fresh-Squeezed Lemon Juice)
(Whipped Cream with Fresh Strawberries)
My real-life friend, Whitney, recently posted a recipe for crepes and I knew I had to try it. I've always been a little intimidated by crepes because flipping them seems so hard! It turns out I just needed to practice (and sacrifice a few half-cooked crepes) to get the hang of it. I love crepes because they are so versatile. You can fille them with sweet things like fruit and whipped cream, but they also taste great with savory foods like ham and cheese.

Sunday Morning Crepes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time (per crepe): about 4 minutes
Total Time: about 10 minutes

INGREDIENTS:

1/3 cup butter, melted
1 egg
2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt

DIRECTIONS:

In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients. 

In a large bowl, beat melted butter and egg, then add in the milk and vanilla. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until smooth. That's your batter!

Melt a tablespoon of butter in a large pan over medium heat. Pour about 1/4 - 1/3 cup batter in the pan and twirl so the batter is evenly distributed. When the crepe starts to bubble up, flip using a spatula and cook the other side. 

Getting the flipping technique down may take some practice--I completely ruined my first crepe. I recommend using a large spatula to really get under the crepe and making sure the first side is well-cooked before attempting the flip. 

Once your crepes are cooked, then it's time to fill them. Here are my 3* favorite crepe fillings:

1. Nutella with sliced bananas
2. Sugar with fresh squeezed lemon juice
3. Whipped cream with fresh strawberries (and little bit of sugar on top)

*I haven't tried Whitney's special peach filling yet, though I'm dying to. Visit the original post on her blog for that recipe. 

13 comments:

Sweetlyfierce said...

It looks yummy!!!!

Mal said...

Yum! Crepes are one of my very favorite things to eat, I love them with lemon juice and sugar.

Mal @ The Chic Geek

kaity said...

these look so good! I love crepes! my favorite is to load 'em down with berries and bananas and chocolate - yum. :)

t said...

I just had crepes for breakfast this morning! So good.

http://initialed.blogspot.com

RaspberryBlonde said...

mmmmmmmm....

S.B. said...

oh my gosh! These look so amazing! I will definitely have to try these!

Elias rocha said...

gostei muito do blog parabens vc realmente tem personalidade,continue assim aqui tem muitas novidades interessantes

mai said...

i love crepes. these look amazing!

Wikaa said...

Gooosh I want to eat strawberries now! That crepes look so delicous!
I have to do such :) But I'll have to buy strawberries in supermarket or I'll have to wait until August or July(then grow strawberries in Poland) :( I want to live in some city in California :(. Visit my blog Dear :) xox
wiktoriabachowskaphotography.blogspot.com

Elena said...

mmm so delicious!!!

Hope you'll visit me :)
Kisses, Elly

Seeking Style said...

Mmm looks delicious!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Redheaded Daybook said...

omgosh! this looks so yummy! and it wouldnt help that im starving lol. totally doing this! so yummy

Britty said...

yum yum YUM! I made crepes in my high school cooking class once upon a time but we used "crepe makers" that you dip into the batter, and since I don't have one (and don't want to buy a uni-purpose cooking appliance!), I mourned. Never thought to try on an actual pan!

I realize this is a pretty "duh" comment, but I'm pretty excited.