Tuesday, February 28, 2012

White Bean Asparagus Salad (with NO dressing!)

I love to eat salads. I love to eat good salads. Salads are an amazing way to enjoy pure, tasty ingredients. Unfortunately, eating salad with sub-par ingredients can leave a sour taste in your mouth. I'd like to challenge you to exercise flexibility with this recipe. While I used asparagus and avocado, feel free to use whatever vegetable is fresh in your kitchen. Corn, broccoli, bell peppers, perhaps? Asparagus is merely a suggestion. As long as the ingredients in your salad are fresh and delicious, you hardly need any dressing. This is the case with this salad. The olive oil which is used to grill the asparagus and lemon zest are enough to complement this healthy and satisfying meal.

White Bean, Asparagus & Avocado Salad

Yield: 4 servings
Total Time: 5-10 minutes

INGREDIENTS:

3-4 handfuls baby spinach
4-5 spears asparagus, cut diagonally into fourths
1/2 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
2 Tablespoons pine nuts
1/4 cup feta cheese
1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 small lemon, zested

DIRECTIONS:

Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Drizzle pan with olive oil and add asparagus spears. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pine nuts to the pan and cook all ingredients for one additional minute. Remove pan from heat.

In a serving bowl, add the spinach, avocado, white beans and feta cheese. Top with cooked asparagus and toasted pine nuts. Sprinkle with lemon zest and serve.

2 comments:

mary said...

This sounds delicious--I love white beans in a salad. And I think I have all of this stuff already so no trip to the grocery needed. Bonus!

Thanks for stopping by Trusty Chucks!

Mary

Devon @ TheMermaidChronicles said...

This looks so delicious!! I love asparagus and the idea of bulking up a salad with goodies! Thanks so much for sharing this on my site! I can't wait to try it.