Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Challenge


Hello and thank you for visiting FEST. I'd like to take you along on my journey as I attempt a personal wardrobe challenge. The challenge?

TO NOT PURCHASE ANY NEW CLOTHES IN 2012. 

Why am I doing this? First and foremost, to save money. Second, to utilize the full potential of my wardrobe and inspire others to do the same. 

I believe in a fully utilized wardrobe. When I was younger, I was a bit of a shopaholic. When shopping, I was easily swayed by highly discounted items, even if it was something impractical or didn't fit quite right. The result of this behavior? Lots of once or twice-worn clothes and several donations to the local thrift store. As I've grown older and wiser, and learned the value of saving and investing for the future, I've learned that clothes, especially ones that only get worn a handful of times, are not the best use of one's money. 

For the last couple years, I have made an effort to put a lot of thought into my clothing purchases and only buy things if they fit properly (being over 6 feet tall, I am very picky!) and if I know I will get a lot of use out of them. This may sound like a recipe for a boring, neutral-colored closet. Well... 

I'll let you be the judge.  


Pants: Jolt purchased at Nordstrom Rack, Shirt: Zara, Shoes: Zara, Belt: H&M, Bag: H&M, Watch: Nixon, Necklace: gifted from Rare Bird, Earrings: Forever21, Sunglasses: Nordstrom (BP)




*To note: As I am not purchasing current "in-season" items, many of the exact clothes you see will likely not be available to purchase. They can, however, serve as inspiration. Periodically, I will dedicate a post to one of my staple wardrobe pieces  and provide links to similar options that can be purchased online.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

21 comments:

emmalily said...

Awesome! I think I'm going to try to do this with you (but without all the documenting, because my clothes aren't nearly as cute...)

Kultur und Stil said...

that's such a great challenge! Oh I should do this too, perhaps I'll join you for one month? well, this month I already bought something, next month I'm going to Portugal and Spain (and I won't resist the Zara and Massimo Duttis and Sfereas there), but perhaps I'll join you for for 22nd february to the end of march (that would already be a success for me, believe me, I'm awful) and than we'll see perhaps one more month in autumn? What do you think about that?
I followed you, and I would be very happy if you follow me back if you like my blog?
xxx Anita

Rachel said...

you're hot parks :)

shefoundstyle said...

Lots of luck on your challenge! Can't wait to see how it goes...

Betsey said...

LOVE this idea! Good luck & I can't wait to see how it goes!

Alynne Leigh said...

GREAT idea! :)

Good luck!!

Bch said...

nice outfit girl! ;)

http://www.purebch.com/

Redheaded Daybook said...

LOVE THIS OUTFIT!
this is something i would totally rock.
especially those pants!
in love.
keep it up!

Taylor said...

Marvy idea for sure!! Though I'm not sure I could stop myself from buying...too tempting...! Love the blog!
♥t.

Love Cardelia said...

Great idea :) Good luck on the journey!

xx
Julie
http://lovecardelia.blogspot.com/

chachamisu said...

what a challenge! I'm proud of you, then I'll be watching you along this year:). I see your style in the blog is not boring at all, you must have good sense of mix and match. It's inspiring

That's My Mama said...

Wow! this is such a great challenge. I cant wait to see how creative youre going to be with your choices :) Btw, Thanks for following me...Im following back!

The Midwest Muse said...

Wow, what a lady. I could never do that. I've just opted for smarter shopping habits, but I salute you! I can't wait to see how well you remix your wardrobe!

Carrie said...

Fantastic challenge! Looking forward to seeing how you rock what's in your closet! :)

Not Hip Enough To Blog said...

Love this idea! I don't know if I could do it, but it's a great challenge. Thanks for the comment love on my blog. I'm your newest follower! :)

Ashley at flats to flip flops said...

WOW! Good for you! Excited to see your journey in 2012!
Ashley:)
www.flatstoflipflops.blogspot.com

Saskia said...

That is a really fun challenge!

Melissa Christensen said...

Sadly, I do this all the time ;( That is why my wardrobe sucks so bad!

khill said...

Super cool challenge. I am inspired by this!

Allie Ruth Morris said...

great idea!! I wish I could do this, I just love shopping a little too much. But I bet I would save a ton of money!
Maybe for lent next year :)

Lissa @ The Looking Glass said...

lady- it's official. i'm joining you in your fast on july 1st. yikes! i'm nervous, but i know i can do it!